Refuge: Canada’s Journal on Refugees has issued a call for papers for a special issue commemorating the 60th anniversary of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees. The theme is, “Is the 1951 Convention Outdated?” If you are interested in contributing an article, here is the CFP; the deadline for submissions is 30 April 2012.
Monthly Archives: April 2012
UNHCR’s Division of International Protection publishes a “Legal and Protection Policy Research Series” of papers written by various legal experts. The latest addition is “The ‘Ground with the Least Clarity’: A Comparative Study of Jurisprudential Developments relating to ‘Membership of a Particular Social Group‘” by Michelle Foster. Previous topics addressed include exclusion, gang violence, climate change displacement, detention, and statelessness.
If you are interested in writing a paper on a refugee law topic, you can submit it for consideration by the Protection Policy and Legal Advice section at HQPR02@unhcr.org.
UNHCR has begun issuing “Guidelines on Statelessness.” The aim is to “provide interpretive legal guidance for governments, NGOs, legal practitioners, decision-makers and the judiciary, as well as for UNHCR staff and other UN agencies involved in addressing statelessness.” Ultimately, they will culminate in a UNHCR Handbook on Statelessness.
Here are the first two:
- Guidelines on Statelessness No. 1: The Definition of ‘Stateless Person’ in Article 1(1) of the 1954 Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons (UNHCR, Feb. 2012) [text]
- Guidelines on Statelessness No. 2: Procedures for Determining Whether an Individual is a Stateless Person (UNHCR, April 2012) [text]
The guidelines are a result of a series of expert consultations that were held to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness. The meetings included:
- Expert Meeting on the Concept of Stateless Persons under International Law, Prato, Italy, 27-28 May 2010 [summary conclusions] [background paper]
- Expert Meeting on Statelessness Determination Procedures & Statelessness Status at the National Level, Geneva, 6-7 December 2010 [summary conclusions]
- Expert Meeting on Interpreting the 1961 Statelessness Convention and Preventing Statelessness among Children, Dakar, 23-24 May 2011 [summary conclusions]